Before I post my study on the whole “yoked” issue, I thought I might take a few lines here and address another small issue that has since arisen out of me asking the original question. Some have asked, in a gracious manner, how is it that I would ask a question about a philosophy that seems to be so well formulated. I acknowledge, that on the surface level, it may seem to some like a waste of time or dumb, that I would ask such a question. I could imagine some think it is as pointless to study the Trinity, to ask how is it possible that after hundreds of thousands of years of Judaic “monotheism,” Christians come along and say that there are (in some minds) three Gods. I was raised in a traditional protestant Bible-Belt church for most of my school years, and I always got the impression that questioning orthodoxy or doctrine was viewed as bucking the system, and to be frowned upon. I was told not to have sex outside marriage because it was sin, and to run away from even the possibility of temptation to lust. Not to recognize that we are sexual creatures, and to address the problem. Instead of taking the opportunity to learn about my Creator, I was taught how to obey the rules (or at least try to most of the time.)
But I have since come to realize (thanks in large part to a book called The Gospel According to Moses by Athol Dickson,) that questioning God is not always a bad thing. In fact, God even seems to reward the act, and seems to bring about a closer relationship with the questioner and God. So anyways, I will give a few points as to why I think it is ok to question God, or some of His apparent ways (not to mention our own doctrines and orthodoxies.) As far as to when I will post my study on the matter, hopefully this weekend, we shall see. No promises though.
I start off with the phrase “Asking is not doubting. It is trusting.” When one inquires about something concerning a spiritual matter, it should be done with a teachable and humble spirit, not one of pride and certainty. That is where the flaw comes into the picture. Some might think I pose a question because I believe I have the answer, when in reality, I want to know the truth personally, or to learn more about it, or to discuss some concerns I might have. Not that I am throwing the whole idea down the drain. If a little girl asks her dad why the sky is blue, she is not questioning her dad’s capacity to know such knowledge, she is of the understanding that he comprehends and knows the answer to such a question. God is the same way. When we come to Him with an open teachable humble spirit and mind, He is willing to work with us. On the other hand, when we come to Him with our hands and minds closed over some issues, that is when He gets upset.
Peter, in 1 Pet. 3:15, instructs us to have a good understanding of and be able to teach our beliefs. In order for us to do this, we can either just memorize all the right answers or we can know them in our hearts, and have such a passion for them that they own our every deed and word. This is where asking questions come into play. You are saying to God, “teach me Lord; show me yourself.” If you claim to know all the answers, you are in essence claiming to have the same fullness of God’s knowledge and therefore claiming to be God. Now some of those who have a good bit of knowledge of the Bible will be able to recall many times where Paul and other writers claim that some have full knowledge, and to have all the right answers (such as Romans 15:14.) But if you look further, you see another picture. Not only in this passage is Paul instructing them on further matters of doctrines (Romans is one of the weightiest books in the Bible,) but later on in 1 Cor. 8:1-3, Paul says that those who claim to have knowledge are fools, and that those who love know God. It’s a paradigm shift. If you claim you know, you are a fool, but if you just claim to love, to look to God to direct you in your life, then you know God. This is the deal; the Spirit and the Word directs and teaches us, not a set of doctrines. Anytime we look to learn a doctrine we do just that, learn a doctrine. But if we, in love, with humbleness, sincerity, and a teachable spirit, look to God to teach us, then He does, and in the process we draw closer to God, not a set of doctrines.
I know this post is getting long, so I will wrap it up. Below are two passages that are more entertaining to read than it will be to watch the new Office season premiere. They also happen to be two stories dealing with two different people of the Bible, who fought all night long with God, and dined and bargained with God. Read them and enjoy! So I end with two quotes, one by a Rabbi who lived around the turn of the century, and another by another Rabbi from the 21st century.
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." - Jesus in Matthew 7:7-8.
“Good questions have a legitimacy of their own. They add to our understanding even before we can come up with the answer- and sometimes we glean insights precisely because we can’t supply an answer. In such cases the significance of the knotty question derives not from cutting the knot, but instead from the annoying fact that no analytic knife seems adequate to the task.” - Avigdor Bonchek
The two passages are found in Genesis 18, and 32:24-32.
Remember: God loves an honest question!
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wonderful words from a fellow wonderer! After coming from a similar background, and learning the same thing about taking doubts and questions straight to the One with all the answers, I predict an quantum leap in your wisdom about God, Shawn. Here's another verse to remember: "I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me." (Prov 8:17) Looking forward to that upcoming post.
thanks for the words of encouragement. your book has really shaped me. thanks for that. feel free when i post to comment on it. I would appreciate it.
Post a Comment