
It's June 1st and that means it's officially the Atlantic Hurricane Season! And to celebrate, we have out first named storm, Tropical Storm Arthur. You can read more about it here. Also I have provided below a list of the prospective names of hurricanes for this year, as well as the best weather site for tropical systems here. So drink up and cheers to a merry hurricane season. (More on this peculiar mindset below.)
Arthur Bertha Cristobal Dolly Edouard
Fay Gustav Hanna Ike Josephine
Kyle Laura Marco Nana Omar
Paloma Rene Sally Teddy Vicky
Wilfred
I use to love hurricane season, and still sorta do. I remember watching Jon Hope, The Weather Channel's hurricane expert, talk about the different storms of the seasons, like when Erin came through Polk. I remember always wanting a big storm to come through Polk, I guess so we could get national recognition like those in Miami and Louisiana received from Andrew, or Mississippi from Camille, or Pensacola from Opal, or like the Carolinas got from Fran. I remember growing up hearing horror stories of an unnamed hurricane that hit Okeechobee and the drowned thousands floating on the lake. Or the stories told of the death and destruction of Camille and Hugo and Donna cast a eerie, dark, and mysterious picture in my mind. I remember the toll that Mitch and Georges and Floyd took. They became to me a bit like Hollywood; glamorous in the way that they worked and affected people. I looked on with awe at the images of them on the TV screen, they looked so stoic, unmoved by humans, only affected by fronts and water temp. Yes, you could say I had a warped mind in this regard. I remember thinking how powerful they must be, to just rip into a coast like they did. I still can see the images of the waves crashing and tidal waves washing up over seawalls. Or of the typical stop sign being twisted in the wind, and of the beach houses being washed out into the sea. Anyways, my dad always told me that since I was wishing it so much, if we ever did get one, I would have to go out and pick up the moss and sticks all by myself. So then I started pretending like I didn't want it, but I still really did. I'm not sure what it was that drew me so much to Hurricanes? But I still love reading about them, and studying them and looking at them. I was going to go to college to be a meteorologist and to try and be the next David Gray or Jon Hope, I was actually looking at going to Colorado Springs. But in the 10th grade I felt the call to go into the ministry, and I put that dream aside. Now I don't wish for any storm to hit any part of any land mass. I have seen first hand what Hurricanes like Charley, Francis, and Jeanne could do, and I have watched on the TV what Katrina did. But I still love to watch the process of a picture perfect hurricane develop and move across the Atlantic, Gulf, or Caribbean. I just hope now that it dissipates before it makes landfall or keeps out at sea. So, I'm not sure why I went into this long-winded expose of my thoughts of hurricanes, but I wanted to share them anyways.
No comments:
Post a Comment