Sunday, June 22, 2008

Viva la Vida in my hands...



Ok, so I got the new Coldplay album on the day it came out, and I have been listening to it ever since. I have been trying to figure out where it stacks up against their other albums, and I think the jury is still out. First of all, it goes without saying it's different. That being said, it won't compare evenly with their other albums. But I would have to say its better than Parachutes just because "Viva la Vida" is as good as "Yellow," and really "Yellow" carried Parachutes. In my opinion, Viva la Vida the song helps keep the album afloat, but it doesn't do all the work. I like their third single to be released "Lost!" I've heard it said by some that its on par with U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." Um... the same style maybe, but not the same level; not bad, but not U2 either. My other favorite other than the title track is "Lovers in Japan." Now this song I love! One of their all-time best! It has enough usual Coldplay to match what I expect, but also enough new, other-countries type feel to it to be fresh. Also "Strawberry Swing" is pretty good. "Cemeteries of London" is nice, "Violet Hill" (their first single) is pretty good, and "Death and All His Friends" is a good end to the album. However, I do not like "Yes."

Anyways, my final assessment: Better than Parachutes, but not better than X&Y, and not even close to A Rush of Blood To The Head. If your a Coldplay fan, go out and get it. And if your not, then just go buy A Rush of Blood To The Head or The Joshua Tree, because this is not even a fair comparison to either.

No comments: