

So I know I'm a little late on posting this, but I was busy doing other things like sitting around my house, downloading new music, and spending way too much money on lunch. So here it is finally, my notes on Alan Hirsch at the NNCC from a few weeks ago. Just to say my part, he was in my humble opinion, the best speaker there, and alone well worth the price of admission. He also has two amazing books out, The Forgotten Ways and The Shaping of Things to Come. Also Chris has already posted on this, you just have to go back to the start of may in the archives to find it.
So here are my notes;
“The heart of discipleship is becoming like Jesus.”
Simplex idea – “Jesus is Lord” - this means that the concept is easy to understand and we all know how to live by it (simple), yet we all find it hard to do so, to flesh it out (complex). Neat little word I think.
The Gospel, if left alone in its simplicity, becomes easy to pass on - It spreads like a virus.
Alan showed how that worked in the early church, and how it has worked in places like China.
Christianity - Christ = Religion
“Jesus is the doorway. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t a whole realm of richness in God, just that Jesus is the way to get to that richness.” - amazing quote I think.
Perceived Set – You will only remember 3 brands in a product line. Test it out- try toothpaste!
“I believe that Christology is the heart of restoring the church to where it should be.”
“Down the gurgler” (toilet)
We have to get back to the basics per say, of Jesus. Not just his teachings, but also his actions. We have to "Re-calibrate to Jesus."
Christology → Methodology → Ecclesiology
Ask “where can u find Jesus?” Most people would say “in a church”
“It is not so much that the church has a mission, but that the mission has a church.”
Amazing quote, one of the many that he had. Think about that one for a little while.
Also, I will fess up before anyone else accuses me of a mistake I made during on of his sessions. I gave Alan a permanent marker instead of a dry erase. It was embarrassing. Alan, if you happen to come across this, I'm sorry again.
3 comments:
Shaun, that marker marked me for life! :-) Trust me, a mistake I have made too many times--being a whiteboard freak and all that.
Thanks for the kind words and great plug. You're pretty awsome yourself!
You got one too!
Say it ain't so.......Shawn you will never stop bragging about the GREAT Alan Hirsch commenting on your blog.
Post a Comment