
Now Donovan wants to come back? I like him and everything, and I dont hold any grudge on him, but he cant just come waltz back in (only Spurrier can do that.) For two reasons:
1) Because Grant really is the next guy for this job. I think he can truly be great, maybe even put up two more championships (just not back-to-back.)
2) Because anyone with that much wishy-washy baggage. I would be bad for recruiting, bad for media attention, bad for team moral, just bad all around. He needs to either stay in Orlando (if he still can) or find a new college opening elsewhere. I think there will be an opening at VCU in a few days!
3 comments:
Don't give me that sanctimonious crap. I think it's great that he came to his senses, didn't chase the cash into a situation where history says he wouldn't be succesful (see Rick Pitino) and is staying where he belongs. And I don't think it would be so easy for Spurrier to waltz back here anymore!
Integrity, blah, blah, blah.... Don't let Adam warp your mind with those Volunteer mind games.
No, I dont think Spurrier could come back in now, but back when Zook was fired, he should have. Anyways, I love the guy still, I think he is an amazing coach, and I would have loved it had he never left, but now there will be too much baggage with him. Wait and see, there will be some damage from this whole scenario. I dont for one minute buy into Adam's whole integrity bit. He's just trying to make a big issue out of a simple mistake. He knows that no one can say anything about the Vols coach, because he is a stand up man when it comes to that issue.
But what about Cutcliffe, who left to coach Ole' Miss? What about kids who see him leaving Tenn. back then, and how it sets an example to our kids.
Anyways, Donovan looks foolish in this, but in no way does it degrade the moral structure and compass of America, nor should it be an issue. We must realize that we are dealing with sports. It's about winning, and money. And when an oppertunity to further either or presents itself, you can and should expect for coaches and players to jump. Contracts are made to be broken. why else would you have them. They are a security blanket for the organization or player/coach to have in the instance of one of them leaving. Its apart of the game.
Shawn,
Not sure how someone would make a post like you did, and then completely contradict yourself in your comment section, but I guess that is what liberals spend all of their time doing........backpedaling.
Chris,
I think that it does show a lack of integrity. My word means what? Nothing. I wish my kid would play for a guy who says "I promise I am not leaving for Kentucky come play for me." then "Sorry you signed a letter of intent at Florida, now I am leaving for more money." and then after my son has thought about leaving to go to another school says "But I am committed to Florida, you need to stay around." My issue has nothing to do with Tennessee and Florida, because I as a Tennessee fan want him to coach Florida, I want him to win the National Championship for the next 20 years in a row, that is good for the SEC which is good for Tennessee, but to sign a contract and then that quickly say, "Oh sorry," is RIDICULOUS. Billy Donovan is a great coach who made a program at UF and has done nothing but help the SEC and I LIKED him before this.
Post a Comment