Monday, January 21, 2008

Love Wins!!!

Adam and I were having a conversation the other day while we were eating at the Waffle House. (By the way, I've eaten there before, but for some reason, my opinion has now changed, and it's my new old favorite.) Anyways, we were talking about the age old topic of God's Irresistible Grace. And tonight, as I lay here after watching the movie "Once" (which I will go into more later,) I started thinking about how it is time for me to really move on in life (again.) How now is the time to move, not later. You know those kind of times where God is kinda pushing you to start living right again. Again, anyways, I started thinking how I want to find a girl like that one day, and preferable soon. And so I thought to myself how love can change you, much like it did with the couple in the movie. And so I thought about how nice that will be one day when I have that. And then a thought occurred to me. It isn't so much that God's grace is irresistible, its more so its His love that is. Over the past year, He has constantly been pursuing me, and I have been running. But after awhile, I got tired. And now, here I am thinking about how tomorrow is the start of a new week. A new week to try this thing again. All this time, God has (yes, with his grace,) patiently, but lovingly waited it out for me. Now was this predestined or of my own choosing, who cares. I don't. But what hits me now in this moment, is Love. Love. God. Remember the verse "because God is Love." (1 Jn. 4:8) God is Love. Love is God. And although I don't think we can fully grasp, in this life, all that Love (God) encompasses, I do think that God (Love) has allowed us to witness many acts and creations throughout history to come to some understanding of its basic principles. And for me, its this: Love wins. I know that might sound cliche or Rob Bell(ish), but its true. Love (God) wins and overcomes. And so with His grace He saves us, but with His love He pursues us. And so it is this; His love is irresistible, not his grace. But I'm no theologian either...

Man, one of my new favorite songs from the movie is called "Say It To Me Now."
Here are the lyrics:

Scratching at the surface now
And I'm trying hard to work it out
And so much has gone misunderstood
And this mystery only leads to doubt
And I didn't understand
When you reached down to take my hand

And if you have something to say
You'd better say it now

'Cause this is what you've waited for
Your chance to even up the score
And as these shadows fall on me now
I will somehow

'Cause I'm picking up the message, Lord
And I'm closer than I've ever been before
So if you have something to say
Say it to me now
Just say it to me now


Go and watch this movie. Better yet, buy it. Trust me, its worth it. So I'll just keep scratching, and we'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shawn, this was our devotional for today. I thought it was a great reminder. Love, Mom

Worship Brings Power

The Bible says that God inhabits the praises of His people. When you worship the Lord, His presence will manifest wherever you are. It doesn’t matter if you are at home, in your car or at work, God will inhabit your praises. And where God is, there is tremendous power available! The enemy cannot stand in the presence of our Mighty God!

What do you need power for today? Do you need God’s healing power in you body? Worship Him. Do you need God’s restoration power in your relationships? Worship Him. Do you need His delivering power from a particular situation? Worship Him.

As you worship Him, you will see your perspective begin to change. The things that used to bother you will no longer bother you. Old habits and addictions will automatically break off of you. Things in your life will begin to change when you live a life of worship.

Start right now by worshiping the Lord out of your heart. All throughout the day, sing songs to Him and declare His goodness. As you do, you’ll experience the life of victory He has in store for you!

A Prayer for Today

Father in Heaven, I worship You today. You are the good and faithful God. Thank You for loving me. Thank You for accepting me. Thank You for working in my life today. I bless You today. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Brannen Padgett said...

Great post man. It gives me something to really think about. Also, send me your e-mail address we're about to send out a prayer letter. I hope all is well back in Florida