Friday, April 13, 2007

What Dreams May Come


This is another post that I wrote a few months ago. I liked it, so here it is.


I just got done watching the above movie with Robin Williams for like the 5th time. It is probably in my top ten list of favorite movies. It is not exactly biblical all the time, in fact most of the time, but it still has some good truths. One of my favorites is a one-liner that Williams says while quoting his wife, "Sometimes when you lose, you win." In the movie, well I wont give it away for those who want to see it ( which i suggest), but he is talking about something far different than I am. When I started thinking about that line, I thought about how that's what we have to do in this life. We have to lose ourselves; lose our ambitions, our dreams, our desires, our self determination, our self-will. Jesus taught that we must hate our father and mothers in order to follow Him. That we must let the dead bury their own dead. That we must abandon our professions, our future. We must give up our wisdom, our strength. He said we must take up our crosses and follow. That we must sell all of our possessions, we must leave our homes. We must give up our preconceived notions. These are the things we must do. But yet he claims that His burden is light, that His yoke is easy. Seems like a contradiction. Maybe we are just out of tune, maybe we are still clinging on to our preconceived notions. Maybe we have missed the point. When we die to ourselves, those former things mean nothing, they become a distant memory. Jesus says we must die to ourselves. But by doing so, we gain all things. That's the beauty of Christ, that's the paradox of Christ. When we are weak, we are strong, when we are foolish, we are wise, when we are poor, we are rich. When we die, we live. And when we lose; when we lose ourselves to all these things, when we surrender and give in to an overwhelmingly passionate loving God, then... we... Win. We win freedom, we win love, we win richness, we win wisdom, we win a future, a passion, a family. We win a friend, a father, and a Savior. Nothing can compare with that. "Sometimes, when we lose, we Win."

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I might gain Christ." - Philippians 3:8

"So then no more boasting about men. All things are yours...all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God." - 1 Corinthians 3:21-23

"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all- how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest...For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28, 30

"for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:29

No comments: